23 March 2011

North Ten Mile Creek Ski Morning

Got out this morning for a little ski up North Ten Mile Creek...the weather was gorgeous with blue skies, puffy clouds and lots of sun. New snow the night before was perfect. A little bushwhacking after the Eagle Nest Wilderness boundary, but mainly the trail was etched out enough.

Planned on going up to the meadows below the Gore Range but saw some deep footprints and scat that were fresh and when I looked up there was a huge moose cow just above me. I stayed on the edge of the open space thinking she might amble off, but then she lay down, yawned a few times and made herself comfortable...

Very sleepy moose...
So...thinking that I wouldn't disturb her any more I just turned around and headed back. Probably could have made it by her, but at under 100 yards, and downhill, she would charge me faster than I could get by if she felt like it. Cowardly? Maybe. Respectful. Very.

I did take a little fun video on the way down - and nearly took out a dog laying in the middle of the trail, not to mention a few hikers...fortunately nobody panicked and all was well.

Music: Saltwater by Chicane

No comments: